Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Firmly on the Rock of Humility

December 7, 2017

Memorial of Saint Ambrose, Bishop, and Doctor of the Church
Lectionary: 178
Reading 1: IS 26:1-6
Responsorial Psalm: PS 118:1 AND 8-9, 19-21, 25-27A


There is something very uplifting about examining yourself during the Advent season to prepare yourself for the arrival of the Lord in our hearts, for the daily rebirth of Christ living inside of us.   There is also something very humbling about the same process.   I don’t mean that false humility that makes us say “look at how humble I am becoming,”  but rather that true humility that doesn’t think less of himself but rather thinks about himself less often.    I found myself in a room full of people just the other day bragging about my abilities.   Not that simple matter of fact statement of what I am capable of.   That in and of itself is never wrong.  Being humble means you know who you are, both the good and the bad.  No, I found myself speaking with pride and vanity about myself.   I should apologize to all of those who were there for when I did my examen later in the day I found myself ashamed of how I acted.

I don’t believe in coincidences.   So when last night I was actually thinking exactly of that moment and my brother in Christ, Dave Womac, began to pray for our safe departure from class with words that spoke of humility and emptying ourselves, I knew God had put that on his heart for that very moment.   Then when I got up this morning to begin meditating on tomorrow’s readings I knew instantly that a theme was beginning to emerge, the theme that Advent should bring about in all of our lives.  Yes, humility.   Isaiah proclaims this morning that “He humbles those in high places, and the lofty city he brings down; He tumbles it to the ground, levels it with the dust. It is trampled underfoot by the needy, by the footsteps of the poor.”   It almost seems arrogant in and of itself for me to begin to think that God wrote these words with me in mind doesn’t it?   Yet, I do believe that is how He operates.  Why?  Because it’s only in becoming “poor in spirit” that we can truly begin to get out of the way and let God operate through us.  It is only in preparing an empty manger, a simple dwelling that has nothing else cluttering it up, that we can create an altar worthy of Christ, and Christ alone, in this temple that God has created in our hearts.

I believe that truly the rock foundation of our faith is exactly in humility.  That is why I believe that being called to the Diaconate is so foundational to who I am as a man.  A servant.  Someone who is called to exemplify Christ in my actions and words.   It is when I try to build on my own abilities, not in humble recognition of the talents and gifts that God has given me to share with His Body and build up His Church, but rather as the basis for my calling that I realize how much sand and straw are all the things that I have to be proud of.   Everything I have is from Him.  It is only worth something because He is the source, the creator who endowed me with those gifts, and the rock that I must build my faith on is that truth.  

C.S. Lewis once wrote in the Screwtape Letters this following statement attributed to one of the senior devils in advice to the young tempter: “Your patient has become humble; have you drawn his attention to the fact? All virtues are less formidable to us once the man is aware that he has them, but this is especially true of humility.”  Today is the feast of St. Ambrose, a man who once ran when they asked him to become Bishop because he knew he was not worthy.   Then when they insisted and installed him anyway, he spent his life studying to show himself approved.  Learning the truth of the Scriptures, reaching out to the poor and marginalized, and fighting heresy with gentle words, sound reason and logic.  I know my mistake always occurs when I begin to think “I am starting to be a little humble.”   There is an old joke that I used to tell flippantly, but it illustrates this:  “They gave me the most humble pin in high school.  Then took it away because I wore it.”  Humility is the basis of all the virtues.  But be careful, “Lord teach me humility” is one of the most dangerous prayers you will ever pray.   Opportunities to learn to be humble are not often pleasant.  

So let us pray with Enzler and with Dave Womac, a man who truly inspires me to be better, this beautiful prayer from Enzler’s Way of the Cross:
My Lord,
I offer You my all­--
whatever I possess,
and more, my self.
Detach me from the
craving for prestige,
position, wealth.
Root out of me
all trace of envy of my neighbor
who has more than I.
Release me from the vice of pride,
my longing to exalt myself,
and lead me to the lowest place.
May I be poor in spirit, Lord,
so that I can be rich in
You.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment here if you do not have a Facebook account