Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Time changes everything

Many years ago I was addicted to a game called Everquest. I played every waking hour, and thought about it when I was not. It was a time in my life that was really me just behaving as a child. Do not get me wrong, I still enjoy my computer games. However, I have reached a different level of player than before, I hope.

You see I remember saying this exact quote about an expansion coming out. (For those that do not know what an expansion is, an expansion is a new CD containing new areas and monsters etc, 'improving' the game play and giving more content.)

"I don't care what it costs, or where we have to go to find it. The power can go off, the cable can go off, just get me that game."

Not one of the more proud moments of my life. You see I had let this game become so important to me, that I didn't see the world around me or the pain I was causing. I simply wanted the game that had become my personal god, forgetting who the true God was. How many times have I done this in my life? So many times. I didn't even consider the notion that I was or could place something in God's place until I got much older. I talk as if I ancient. I'm not, but I find there is a huge period of growing up from the early twenties to the late, for most.

This time I am playing a game called World of Warcraft, that one would have to be hiding under a rock to not know exists. From television adds, to magazine ones, to word of mouth this game has filtered throughout our society. Their biggest expansion yet is coming out, and I'm finding myself hesitant to spend money on it. There are so many more things that I could do with that money considering we have three accounts. (Wife, mine and oldest daughters.) That's over 150 dollars that could be used to put down some hard wood flooring, replace some parts on the heat pump that are probably well past their prime, buy some winter clothes for the kids, or even start preparing the garden for the Spring.

Do not get me wrong there is still a strong urge in me to buy this silly game, but there is a stronger one nagging at me to be a responsible adult. To allow my mind to forget about earthly things, and remember that we are here to make a difference in the lives of others. One that reminds me that this life is simply a fading moment in the great timeline, and we are just stewards of the things we touch and possess. There is an old saying about when you die, you can't take it with you. Maybe we should update that for our generation, 'virtual real estate will always be intangible."

Pray for me my brothers and sisters, that each day I will continue to contemplate and grow. That I will be able to see the world through the eyes of a loving and true God, who wants us to submit ourselves to each other in humility, and love. That I will be able to be the responsible steward of the resources the Father has given me, and use them in accordance with His will.

In Christ,
Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment here if you do not have a Facebook account