Monday, December 6, 2010

Spirit of the Season

I have been thinking about a little exercise that would help people remember what they are thankful for. At least it worked for me. So here is my challenge, I pray each of you will participate.

Step 1 - Think of something you wish for (nothing generic like world peace, but something specific.)

Step 2 - Write down 3 things you would have if this wish came true

Step 3 - Think very careful, what are three negative things that this wish could bring about?

Step 4 - Do the positives outweigh the negatives?

For instance, I used to daydream that I could travel back in time to where I was 2 years old. Then I would physically be 2 but have all the knowledge I have now.

3 things that I would have
1 - Exceptional intelligence for that age
2 - Foreknowledge of the future
3 - Life experience for making decisions

3 things I could lose
1 - Would I have ever met/married Julie?
2 - Would I ever have my daughters?
3 - Would abusing that sort of knowledge of the future for financial and personal gain create a new person that is different than the one that exists now? Would I even be me?

Do the benefits of that wish outweigh the negatives? Not at all.

I am thankful each day for my family. My children are growing more and more, and it's wonderful to watch them. My wife is a beautiful woman who I pray never grows tired of me. My life is exactly what I would wish for, if I had the chance to do it all again, and given the option I would prefer not to go back and risk losing any of that.

What about you? Do you find your wishes aren't exactly what you thought they would be, once you spend time really thinking about it?

In Christ,
Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment here if you do not have a Facebook account